We are proud to introduce our new collection of exclusive whiskeys to the Irish Whiskey Museum, which arrived in May 2015. These rare bottles are steeped in history and can only be seen here so book your ticket today!
It is 70% Proof (40%abv). The original labelling is still intact and in great condition. Fill level is just below the neck. It does not have a seal.
This whiskey was distilled at the Jones Road Distillery and was bottled by J & F McGlade at 96 Donegall Street in Belfast. In bond since 1916 and bottled in 1966, this is another whiskey that is one of the oldest
The DWD was a limited company formed from an association of 7 businessmen. The construction of the Jones Road Distillery was completed in 1873 and was considered the most modern distillery at the time. The distillery produced over 500,000 gallons of whiskey annually.
In 1891, The DWD partnered up with George Rowe and William Jameson to form the Dublin Distillers Company Limited (DDC). They only produced single pot still whiskey, ignoring the more profitable and efficient technique that was the Coffey Stills and grain whisky. This led to competition between each of the distilleries as each distillery sold whiskey under its own brand.
Distillation at the Jones Road Distillery stopped in 1926 although there may have been periods of irregular distilling till 1945. World War I, Irish Independence, the Civil War and American Prohibition were factors that led to the closure of many whiskey distilleries in Ireland and sadly Jones Road was one of them.
The remains of the old distillery building have been converted into apartments known as the Distillery Lofts.
We know that there are 2 remaining bottles in existence and are proud to have one on display in our gift shop area.
It is 40 Under Proof (34%abv). The bottle still retains its original label albeit it is worn. The fill level is to its shoulder. It is a pure Irish pot still whiskey and one of the oldest in existence.
The distilling for this bottle of whiskey began in Allmans Bandon Distillery in 1916. It was bottled by the Nuns Island Distillery, which was owned by the Persse family in Galway. Originally it was owned by Captain R.E Palmer.
Allman’s Distillery in Bandon was opened in 1826 by James C Allman, who converted a mill into a distillery. It soon became one of Ireland’s most successful distilleries at the time as its whiskey was highly regarded in and outside of Ireland.
It employed over 200 men, had 15 warehouses which could store up to 9,000 casks, and had the second largest malting facility in Ireland at the time of Alfred Barnard’s visit. Barley was supplied locally by farmers. Allmans claim to have been the first to import and use sherry-seasoned casks from Cadiz. They were producers of both single pot still and pure malt whiskey.
In 1925, the distillery stopped production of whiskey and was officially closed in 1940. Like most other distilleries at the time, Allmans was affected by changes in the political and commercial environments.
In 2015, this particular bottle was discovered in a London auction house by Willie Murphy. It was obtained by the Irish Whiskey Museum at Adams auction house last month and is now on display in the gift shop area.
Cassidy’s Distillery was opened in 1784, in the small town of Monasterevin in Co. Kildare and was managed by the Cassidy family. The distillery produced pure pot still whiskey which it sold locally with the exception of 40 – 50,000 gallons meant for export.
In 1886, the distillery was visited by Alfred Barnard who documented every distillery in Ireland, Scotland and England. He tasted a 6 year old whiskey and considered it a ‘fat, creamy whisky, suitable both for blending and to use as a self spirit’
The distillery closed in 1921 due to a number of reasons. In 1918, the owner Robert Edward Cassidy fell ill and died, leaving the running of the distillery to his wife Gwendella de Beler. War time taxations and restrictions made things worse and the distillery eventually went into voluntary liquidation.
The last known bottle of Cassidy’s whiskey was donated to Mooney’s pub in the 1970’s by a local parish priest. For the last 30 odd years Cassidy’s whiskey has been on display in the pub, until now.
Donated by Paul Hyland the current owner of Mooney’s pub, the last bottle of Cassidy’s whiskey is now on display in our gift shop area along with two other vintage Irish whiskeys.