Irish Whiskey Cake is another classic dish that we love and enjoy eating. This cake is well known across Ireland and most families probably have their own recipes. Well here is ours for you to enjoy.
- 300g of raisins
- 3 tablespoons of grated lemon zest
- 140g of butter
- 200g of caster sugar
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 400g of flour
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 3 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 100g of Irish whiskey (Powers)
Putting it together
- Butter a cake pan then layer the bottom of it with parchment paper and butter that as well.
- Put the raisins, lemon zest and whiskey in a bowl, cover it and let it soak overnight.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Sieve the flour, salt, cloves and baking powder into a bowl and set it aside for later.
- In a separate bowl, cream the butter and sugar together until it is light and fluffy.
- Slowly add the beaten eggs into the mix.
- After the eggs have been mixed in, add the flour mix (step 3) and gradually fold it in.
- Stir in the raisins and any remaining liquids.
- Pour the mixture into the cake pan and bake for 45 – 60 minutes until the cake is cooked through and the top is light to mid brown.
- For a stronger whiskey taste, prick the top of the cake after it’s out of the oven while it’s still warm and drizzle a teaspoon or two of whiskey over it.
And there you have it, a perfect snack to warm you up on a cold night or a great dessert for friends and family to enjoy. However you use it, we hope it was delicious.