This sweet bread is stuffed with whiskey-soaked raisins and orange rind and served with whiskey butter for a delicious variation of traditional Irish soda bread. If you don’t want to use whiskey, simply soak the raisins in hot water.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Serves: 8 to 10 people
- 1 cup raisins
- ½ cup Irish whiskey
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon grated orange rind
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1-1/3 cups buttermilk
- ¼ cup butter or margarine, melted
- ½ cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 tablespoon Irish whiskey
- Soak raisins Irish whiskey overnight.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and orange rind in a large bowl and mix well.
- Stir in raisin mixture, blending well.
- Dissolve soda in buttermilk.
- Add to flour mixture, stirring well.
- Stir in butter, mixing well.
- Spoon batter into a greased 2-quart casserole.
Bake at 350 degrees F. for 50 minutes or until golden brown. Cut into squares, and serve with yummy Irish Whiskey Butter.
Irish Whiskey Butter Method:
Combine butter and Irish whiskey, blending well. This should provide you with ½ cup
Source: The Southern Heritage Celebrations Cookbook by Carole Lisa Albyn and Lois Sinaiko Webb Source: http://homecooking.about.com/od/breadrecipes/r/bldes48.htm