Since we are now a part of the Ambassadors’ Club, we thought a coffee cake might be appropriate.
- 125g caster sugar
- 150g butter or margarine
- 250g self – raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp coffee extract (for a stronger coffee flavour add more)
- 2 eggs
- Pinch of salt
- 150ml strong black coffee
- 150g sugar
- 70ml Irish whiskey (of your choice)
Putting it together
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C
- Mix the butter and sugar, then beat until fluffy
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time.
- Mix the flour, baking powder and salt then mix it into the butter mixture.
- Mix the coffee extract and vanilla into the batter.
- Spread batter in a greased 8-inch round cake pan.
- Bake in oven for 30 – 40 minutes. Insert a wooden skewer into the centre of the cake before baking. If the skewer comes out clean then take the cake out of the oven.
- Let the cake cool for 5 minutes.
- Run knife around edge of cake to separate from pan; turn out onto rack, let cool completely.
- Mix the coffee and sugar together in a pan and bring to a boil, make sure to stir so the sugar dissolves.
- Take the pan off the heat and add the whiskey.
- Poke holes all over top with a toothpick or skewer.
- Pour coffee syrup over cake. Let cool until syrup is absorbed.
- After the coffee syrup has been absorbed, serve and enjoy.
It’s probably best not to eat too much in one sitting but we won’t judge how you eat your cake. 🙂