For the delight of ladies, and I am sure equal amount of gents, we at Irish Whiskey Museum have been doing a research on the best Irish whiskey cocktails available in pubs and bars of Dublin.
I can only imagine, men are rolling their eyes right now, but let’s face it, even though most gents would never admit mixing ‘Irish liquid gold’ with anything else then a drop of water, or an ice cube, I am convinced that while nobody is watching they too have been ‘experimenting’ with their taste buds and subsequently found out that on a hot Dublin day nothing can be better than a refreshing tall glass of a Manhattan.
If I still haven’t convinced you, this is what Callan Price from 37 Dawson Street has to say:
‘As a professional cocktail bartender, I find Irish whiskey extremely versatile when creating cocktails! For example, you can base a drink on a clean triple distilled whiskey and add another dimension be simply adding a touch of a more complex peaty pot still.’
And if you really haven’t tasted an Irish whiskey cocktail, the list bellow will open your eyes to the variety available. I warn you, don’t be surprised to find yourself looking forward to your Saturday night in the likes of Vintage Cocktail Club.
37 Dawson Street
Their favourite: SMOKY OLD FASHIONED
Irish Whiskey Cocktails they do:
- ARTHURS IRISH MANHATTAN: Jameson Black Barrel, sweet vermouth, Guinness and vanilla syrup.
- SMOKEY OLD FASHIONED: made on Connemara Cask Strength.
- SPRING PUNCH: lemon infused Jameson Black Barrel, elderflower liqueur, lemon juice, apple juice.
Vintage Cocktail Club
Gar Lambe, GM of Vintage Cocktail Club says, ‘My own favourite would just be a Red breast 12yr old, straight up or in a Manhattan, equal parts whiskey to Carpano Antica formula.’
Irish Whiskey Cocktails exclusively made in the Vintage Cocktail Club:
- JAMESONS GATE: Jameson 12yr, Frangelico, Ruby port, house made Guinness porter, fresh orange juice, Jerry Thomas aromatic bitters, shaken hard, rocks glass, rock ice, garnished with nutmeg and mint.
- WEE DRAM: Bushmills 10yr old, Poire Williams, apple liqueur, ruby port, stirred over ice, double strained / coupe glass, pimento mist, orange zest.
Bison Bar & BBQ
Karl Kavanagh, Bar Manager, Bison Bar & BBQ says ‘By far the Bison Berry Punch is my favourite, really easy to drink and great at night just to sip on’
- APRICOT SOUR – Jameson, apricot brandy, apricot jam, lemon juice, apple juice
- BISON BERRY PUNCH – hot Powers, blackcurrant jam, honey, cinnamon, fresh orange, hot water
- BISON APPLE PIE – hot Powers, apple sauce, brown sugar, cinnamon, vanilla extract, hot water (pic of Mr Pepper)
Peruke & Periwig
Robert Caldwell, GM of Peruke & Periwig says, ‘Peruke & Periwig do a range of Irish whiskey old fashions, whiskey sours and manhattans with most of their top shelf Irish whiskeys.’
- THE SMOKING GUN: Rocks, Jameson Irish Whiskey, Tobacco Liqueur, Dom Benedictine, Bitters
- EAST MEETS WEST: Martini, Oolong infused Jameson, Antica Formula, Noilly Prat, Bitters
- KISMET: Martini (Espresso Martini), Jameson 12yr, Kahlua, Coffee, Salted Caramel, Bitters
- VITO CORELONE: rocks, Redbreast 12yr, Amaretto, Flamed Cherry Brandy
- JUST FOR KICKS: rocks, Jameson Whiskey, Crème de Mure, Maraschino, chilli, mint, strawberries, red wine vinegar, ginger ale
Laura, The Church marketing manager says, ‘our favourite would have to be the old fashioned 🙂 it’s a classic.’
- OLD FASHIONED: Jameson Irish Whiskey stirred with Sugar Syrup and Angostura Bitters.
- EMERALD: Jameson Irish Whiskey, Sweet Vermouth and Orange Bitters shaken and strained into a chilled Martini Glass.
- COLLIN’S: Jameson Irish Whiskey built with Lemon Juice and Sugar Syrup then topped with Soda Water.
- MINT JULEP: Jameson Irish Whiskey stirred and mixed with Fresh Mint Leaves and Sugar Syrup
- SOUR’S: Jameson Irish Whiskey shaken with Sour Mix, Pasteurised Egg White, Angostura Bitters and Sugar Syrup
Which is my favourite? I will have to try them all and get back to you! Meanwhile let me know which is your favourite!
Cheers and enjoy!